Wednesday, February 10, 2010

medicine

Other than a brief run of Prilosec (a freaking miracle drug, as far as I'm concerned) more than a decade ago, I've never taken any medicine regularly.

Now:
  • Lipitor, forever.  Keeps the cholesterol down.
  • Baby aspirin, forever.  Yeah, it's not recommended any more- unless your doctor says it is.  Mine does.
  • Metoprolol, for 3 months, or forever, depending on who you talk to.  Blocks the Betas, keeps the heart rate down, and generally mellows me out.  I don't know why exactly this is needed, but in this case, I'm doing what I'm told.  Transient effects include dizziness, lightheadedness, drowsiness, tiredness, and unusual dreams. It may also reduce blood flow to the hands and feet, causing them to feel numb and cold.  Word.
  • Plavix, for a year.  Reduces blood clotting.  Apparently, clotting off that stent is Bad.  This works to prevent that.  Also, adverse effects include hemorrhage.
  • Omega-3 capsules, 2 a day for the "slippery fats" to keep the blood moving.
  • A daily multi-vitamin, mostly for the Vitamin D.  400 IUs. 
The bad part: That's quite a change, going from zero medicine to 7 pills per day.  Most of the change is in my routine - don't forget to take the medicine.  Various doctors, physician assistants, etc. have said (and this is a very, very light paraphrasing) "If you stop taking the Plavix, you will die".  So that's some sort of motivation.

The OK part: As far as I've noticed, I've suffered no side effects.  All that stuff you hear on the TV ads - not for me, at least not in the first month or so.  So, yay.  Except for the lightheadedness from the metoprolol, but even that is getting better.

Thanks for reading.  Next week: food.  Maybe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment